Guernsey Military Underground Hospital

This is the largest remaining structure from the Occupation in the Channel Islands and is almost invisible from the surface. A concrete maze of 7000 square metres, construction started in 1940 and it took slave workers from France, Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Belgium, Holland, Poland, Russia and Guernsey, three-and-a-half years to complete with many losing their lives. The tunnels were built as shelters for troops and the hospital was only used for about six weeks. Guernsey Military Underground Hospital is privately owned but open to the public.